Austin's food scene is heating up, thanks to some well-known chefs and restaurants.
Uchiko's executive chef Paul Qui won Bravo's Top Chef title as well as the famed James Beard award.
On Friday night, Qui will be doing a cooking demo at the Silver Whisk cooking school. He's preparing three dishes—corn custard, truffle rice pouridge and coconut sorbet.
"I come up with these dishes by failing quite a bit in the kitchen,” he said. “It’s a lot of trial and error.”
YNN's Jess Mitchell did some cooking with Qui and Silver Whisk owner Myrna Kallergis Friday morning. Check below for a recipe for lemon-thyme pancakes and biscuits.
Biscuits (makes about 3-4 )
1 cup flour
2 teaspoons of baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1/4 cup cold butter
1/2 cup milk
1. Add flour, baking soda, salt into a medium mixing bowl
2. Cut butter into small cubes and add into bowl
3. Add milk and mix with your hand until the biscuits start to form. Do not overwork.
4. Remove batter from bowl an place onto countertop. Gently press the dough to about 1/2 inch thickness.
5. Cut out biscuits with a round cooking cutter.
6. Bake for about 10 minutes or until golden brown in a 425 degree oven.
Lemon -Thyme Pancakes
2 cups flour
2 tbsp lemon juice
1 1/2 teaspoon fresh thyme (chopped)
2 teaspoons baking soda
1 teaspoon salt
1 cup milk
2 tablespoons melted butter
2 tbsp sugar
1. Add lemon juice to milk in a small bowl
2. In a separate medium sized bowl, mix all the dry ingredients (flour, thyme, baking soda, salt, sugar)
3. Add lemon juice / milk to the dry ingredients.
4. Add egg and butter.